We have put together some answers to questions we frequently receive here at the National Office about our camps, courses, huts, cabins and memberships. If your question is not listed here, please feel free to call or email us using the details on the Contact Us page.


Do I have an active membership?
Access your existing membership details here, including Hut Booking information.
Am I a first-time member?
If you’re registering as an individual member, please follow the steps in this form to complete your membership purchase (ACC and/or section add-ons). If you would like to register for a family membership instead please click this link to access the family registration form
How do I renew an expired membership?
If you’re registering as an individual member, please follow the steps in this form to complete your membership purchase (ACC and/or section add-ons). If you would like to register for a family membership instead please click this link to access the family registration form

Your ACC membership can only be renewed 30 days prior to the expiration date of your current membership.
How do I add a section to my national membership?
You can click here to purchase additional section memberships if needed.
  1. Select the ACC active member you would like to purchase section membership add on for
  2. Select the needed membership options (from the list of section membership, the ACC membership option will be already flagged as “purchased”)
  3. Add the missing additional information, if applicable
  4. Access checkout in your 2M cart

Note: Section memberships purchased during the current validity year of your ACC membership will have the same expiration date as your ACC membership.


How can I find out if there is availability at a hut?
Hut availability is accessible online via this page where you can fill out a booking request form or click to view a calendar search of availability.
Do I have to be an ACC member to stay at a hut?
No, everyone is welcome at the ACC’s huts! ACC members receive reduced rates and enjoy advance booking privileges. Find out more benefits of joining the club on our Membership page.
Are there any private rooms in any of the ACC huts?
No, all our huts have communal sleeping quarters with bunk beds. There are no private rooms in any of our huts.
What should I bring to the hut?
Food and a sleeping bag are the only essentials you will need to bring, however, we also recommend you bring footwear for inside the hut, a headlamp/flashlight, toilet paper, lighter or matches and paper for starting the fire (for huts with wood stoves). Most of our huts have mattresses, pots and pans, cutlery, and stovetops for cooking. Check our individual hut pages for more info on each hut and be sure to confirm at the time of your booking.
Are there ovens in the huts?
A few of our huts do have ovens – Elizabeth Parker Hut, Stanley Mitchell Hut, A.O. Wheeler Hut, Kokanee Glacier Cabin, Fairy Meadow Hut and Elk Lakes Cabin.
Where can I find information on weather, trail closures and wildlife in the area?
Because we operate over 30 huts across multiple parks in Alberta and BC, we cannot provide up-to-date information about all the trails to our huts. You can find trail reports and conditions on the Parks Canada, BC Parks, and Alberta Parks websites.
What time is check-in & check-out?
Check-in is 3:00 pm and checkout is at 11:00 am. We ask that incoming groups respect the check-in time and give the outgoing groups time to pack up and clean the hut. If you arrive before 3:00 pm, you may leave your backpacks in the communal area, out of the way of the other guests.
How can I make an emergency call or contact someone from a hut?
None of our huts are in cellular range, so it is highly recommended that you carry an emergency communication device with you to the hut. The only exception is Elizabeth Parker Hut, which has access to pay phones at the Le Relais Day Shelter, a 10-minute walk from the hut.
How do I know which huts have trail access that suits my ability?
We have a variety of huts that suit all types of users. Basic information on access is on each hut’s webpage, and our front desk team know our hut system very well and can give advice on huts that may suit your ability.
Will there be a staff member or custodian at the hut when I arrive?
Our volunteer hut ambassadors visit different huts throughout the entire year, and we also have custodians who live and work at a few of our hut locations. Please have a copy of your booking confirmation with you to present to a custodian for proof of your reservation. Custodians and ambassadors are there to answer any questions but are not responsible for cleaning up after guests. Our huts are user-maintained, and we ask all users to clean up after themselves and follow the hut etiquette guidelines.
Am I allowed to bring my dog to a hut?
No, sorry, dogs are not permitted at any of the ACC huts. Parks Canada allows dogs on many trails but they are not allowed into the ACC huts. Dogs cannot be tied up outside of huts either.
How many people are allowed at each hut?
Capacities are listed on each individual hut page. Please visit each specific hut page on our website to see the details.
What is a cleaning and disinfecting procedure?
Details will be made available at the hut. Please clean and disinfect all surfaces during your stay and prior to your departure to help us keep our huts in excellent condition. If you notice any maintenance issues or if something is missing, please report it to our reservations team after you return home.
Is there disinfecting equipment at the huts?
Yes, cleaning and disinfecting supplies are available for use and are stocked by our maintenance team and volunteer hut ambassadors. Please do try to be frugal with your use of cleaning supplies while disinfecting and cleaning.


Do I need to pay the full program fees up front to hold a camp spot?
Your program spot is only confirmed once you have paid the registration fee. If you are registering for a program that is 5 days or less in length, you will be charged the full non-refundable program fee at time of booking. If you are registering for a program that is 5 days or longer in length, registration will be confirmed upon receipt of full payment. Refunds are subject to our cancellation policy .
Can I get a refund if I cancel?
We highly recommend cancellation insurance for any program offered by The Alpine Club of Canada.  See the Cancellations/Refund policy .
Can someone take my spot if I cancel?
Yes, we may consider transferring your registration to another individual, provided they meet the requirements of the program. Once we get your replacement registered you and the replacement participant will be responsible for reconciliation of camp fees.
What if the ACC cancels or changes the itinerary of the program?
Occasionally we encounter unforeseen circumstances beyond our control e.g. road closures, guide injury/illness, low registration, hut closures etc. Under these unforeseen circumstances, if we provide a suitable alternative itinerary which does not change the basic nature of the program, a refund will not be offered. If the basic nature of the program is changed, we will be in touch with registrants to offer the option of continuing with the program, or have the program fees refunded.
Can I move my registration to the same program on a different date?
Changing dates on a program will be treated as though you are cancelling your spot. At the discretion of the office, we may be able to transfer your registration.
What if the program staff feel I am not suitably experienced or qualified for the program I have registered for?
In these rare circumstances, we will do our best to find a suitable alternative program for you (if the new program costs more you will be required to pay the difference. If the new program costs less, the ACC will refund you the difference). If a suitable alternative cannot be arranged, the ACC will refund the program fee, less a $100 administration fee. If you have any doubts please contact the office before registering.
How do I register someone else?
They will have to log into their account and register themselves. If you have any issues, please contact the office.
What if a program starts late or finishes early?
In these situations, we will refund participants any costs we are able to recoup e.g. hut bookings, food etc. If the first day of a program involves a helicopter or airplane flight delayed by weather, the participants will be responsible for paying for accommodation and food requirements during the delay. If a program is delayed at the end by weather, the ACC will provide additional guide days, food or accommodation at no additional cost to participants.
Why is my payment non-refundable?
As soon as you register for a program we start the process of getting the camp organized for you. This can look like hiring a second guide to keep our ratios low, organizing food, booking accommodation, reviewing registrations and other admin work. We also promise guides work once we reach a certain number of registrations. If you cancel, often we cannot recuperate any of the costs. On the office side, the camp work doesn’t start when you attend the first day, the work and excitement starts as soon as you register


How can I ensure the ACC benefits from my purchase?
Buy your insurance using the “Online Quote” link or phone numbers at the top of this page. If you end up finalizing your purchase with TuGo directly please reference ALP762.
Is there a discount for active ACC members?
Not currently, but there could be with your help! TuGo won’t currently give us preferable pricing for members. But if we get enough sales through the ALP762 code, this can be negotiated.
I am trekking, what optional coverage do I need?
Typically none. Unless your activity is specifically listed under the Contact, Adventure or Extreme Sports & Activities Optional Coverage, it is covered under the base policy.
I am rock climbing or bouldering, what optional coverage do I need?
Anyone participating in rock climbing is required to purchase the Rock Climbing add on under Adventure Sports Optional Coverage in order to have coverage while climbing.
What about trad climbing or rock climbing in an alpine environment?
I am ice climbing, mountaineering and/or backcountry skiing, how do I make sure my policy covers this activity?
I am mountaineering over 6000m, how do I make sure my policy covers this activity?
You will need the Mountaineering add on under Extreme Sport Optional Coverage. Click “customize” under the Emergency Medical medical plan. And check the Mountaineering box.
Where is the line drawn between mountaineering and rock climbing?
TuGo define mountaineering as “the act of climbing or descending a mountain using specialized equipment including but not limited to pickaxes, ice axes, anchors, bolts, crampons, carabineers and lead or top rope anchoring equipment.” Three components of this distinguish mountaineering from rock climbing: i. you are aiming to reach the summits of mountains ii. there is a possibility of travelling over snow or ice on your climb or on the approach to your climb iii. you are carrying ice tools, an ice axe or crampons. If some or all of these things apply to you, you should ensure you have the correct optional coverage: the Mountaineering add on under Extreme Sport Optional Coverage.
Tell me more about TuGo
TuGo is a third-party administrator (TPA) of travel insurance products and services. They develop and administer a variety of travel insurance plans for Canadian business and leisure travelers, visitors to Canada and international students studying in Canada. Their plans can be found in automobile associations, insurance brokerages, banks, credit unions, travel agencies, tour operators and airlines across Canada. TuGo has protected Canadian travelers for over 50 years. To find out more about other insurance options, visit the TuGo website at TuGo.com or call them direct at 1-855-929-TuGo (1-855-929-8846). Please quote Reference #ALP762, as the ACC benefits whenever this code is used.
How can I speak to TuGo directly?
Visit TuGo.com or call TuGo’s Customer Service at 1-855-929-8846, and reference Alpine Club (ALP762)
Does my park pass cover the cost of air evacuations?
To some extent, yes. In Canadian national parks, your purchased park pass will cover the cost of emergency air evacuation if valid. However, this is not the case for provincial parks or if you are outside park boundaries. Once evacuated from the park, you could still be on the hook for ground ambulance fees, hospital fees etc. and so we typically recommend purchasing emergency medical insurance even if you are intending to recreate in a national park.
Will the TuGo emergency medical policy cover me in the case that I need air evacuation from the mountains?
If you have the correct optional coverage for your activity, the policy will cover emergency air evacuation up to $6,000 if this is required for a medical emergency. Please note, this would not apply if you were simply lost in the mountains.
What is actually covered and where can I find the fine print of the terms and conditions?
TuGo Travel Insurance is subject to conditions and exclusions. For the policy in English and French please visit our Waiver and Liability page for more information.
Can I purchase travel insurance if I am travelling in-province?
TuGo medical insurance is only available to travellers leaving their home province as your home province plan should cover you in most cases. For trip cancellation and interruption anyone may purchase this plan even if the trip is in their home province.